|Cabinet committee to review project amidst fears over possible loss of Galle Face|
|The US$ 700 million Chinese-backed 500 acre project to create a new city on reclaimed land from the sea overlooking the Galle Face Green, exclusively revealed in The Sunday Times last week, has been suspended.|
A high-ranking source said yesterday that the move followed a “high-level” order and added that the matter would now go for scrutiny before the standard Cabinet Appointed Review Committee. “They will determine whether or not the project proposal should be accepted by the Cabinet,” the source said.
The move, the source pointed out, was the direct result of revelations made in the Sunday Times.
The source declined to comment on who had issued the suspension order or whether other proposals, if any, would be subjected to Cabinet scrutiny.
(Source: Sunday Times)